Monday 25 May 2009

Romance is dead. Long live romance.

I humbly apologise for not updating this on Friday as promised. I have been sick. Love sick? No.

So, here’s where things are at, chappies. See below for an update. UpDATE! Geddit?!

But first, some anger.

Right. If I have to read the words ‘smiley’, ‘fun-loving’ or ‘loves life’ again I will personally find the founder of Match.com and drag him or her by their hair back to my house and show them my desperately lonely life and explain to them in stark and unflinching terms that it is ALL THEIR FAULT. Seriously, 95% of the women on Match.com have the following opening sentence on their profile.

‘I’m a smiley, laid back, fun-loving girl who loves life and loves to laugh.’

Good luck finding Mr Right then, sweetheart. Because the rest of us find the concept of fun terrifying. As for life, well, we just plain hate it. Abhor the whole concept. All life should be stamped out. Personally, I am so afraid of laughing that I walk around the whole time with my jaw in a clamp just in case someone, god forbid, amuses me or tickles me and forces me into an involuntary chuckle and my whole face caves in. I mean, honestly, they write these things as if the rest of us go around constantly sobbing and punching ourselves in the face. It’s as if they live in some kind of neo-dystopian London where happiness is banned and MY GOD am I like the only one in the whole world who likes being happy and laughing and the sunshine anymore?!!?! If you’re the ONE OTHER PERSON who still craves some kind of joy in their life then CALL ME. Fucknuts.

They dub themselves ‘fun loving’ as if that’s some kind of unique boast. And this waffle about being 'chilled out' and 'laid back' is utter gumph. Yes, we'd all like to think of ourselves as this wonderfully relaxed and open-minded individual who is so Zen that they're thinking of naming a religion in our honour. But in reality most of us don't open letters we suspect might be bills, we stay awake at night worrying about 'that lump' and we pretend we didn't see the pregnant woman get on at Holborn because we're tired and, really, would she do the same for me? Probably not. Anyway, she should've been more careful. In other words, most of us are neurotic, wound-up little beasties and this is precisely why we need someone else in our lives to use as an emotional dustbin and watch Lost with.

I am very very very tempted to change my profile to simply ‘Are you a brainless twat? I bet you are. Bog off.’

It would more accurately reflect my personality as well of the personality of 99% of the people on Match.com.

Whodathunk?!

Also, so many people in their profile burble ‘I don’t know what to write here.’ WELL IF YOU DON’T THEN NO ONE IS GOING TO KNOW ARE THEY? HELP ME OUT HERE. Great jumping Jesus.

I am starting to realise that the reason most of the women on Match.com are single is that they’ve read/seen Bridget Jones’ Diary just one time too many.

So, in answer to your question… No, I don’t have any dates yet.

But, crikey, am I trying. I promised I’d have 5 dates arranged by this coming Friday. And I shall do my damnedest to deliver. The main problem is that even if I were to ask out the people I am emailing regularly and am getting on well with, I’d still come across as uber-keen. But I will flirt with desperation just for you. YOU.

Due to popular demand, I have also contacted all seven of my 100% matches. Yes, even the one who thinks that ‘Scar Tissue’, the biography of Anthony Kieldis, is the greatest work of literature in the history of humankind. And, yes, even the garden gnome in NHS specs. I got a severe amount of abuse for turning her down in the first place. So. You squawk and I answer. Democracy in action that is.

So, keep your eyes peeled for dates galore. Oh yes.

But generally, how’s it going? Well, I’m glad you asked. Initially it was genuinely quite thrilling. I experienced a Match.com ‘bounce’. I felt good. I was going to be dating, oh yeah. It was going to be fun. I had a spring in my step and I felt more attractive (I even flirted with the outrageous possibility that I didn’t need Match.com to get dates, fool!). That was Week One. Week Two has been somewhat different.

It’s the statistics that grind you down. The cold, hard statistics that you can’t ignore, as Match.com kindly display them in enormous letters on your home page. In two weeks, five people have emailed me after seeing my profile. Not bad, you might think. Why, that’s even cause for celebration. WRONG. Because Match.com also inform in the same salty breath that 115 people have viewed my profile. So. 5 out of 115. Now, I’m no mathematician but that’s a poor return. You also have the pain of seeing the long, gloating list of people who've turned you down. In other words, the first thing you see when you log in to your Match.com profile is a list of your failures. Imagine if, every morning, over your cornflakes, the radio DJ (someone famous, for national exposure - Chris Moyles, David Humphries or, god forbid, Christian O’Connell) lists everyone you’ve ever failed to get off with, everyone who’s knocked you back….sod it, even everyone you’ve cast a furtive glance at in a bar. The whole list. Every morning. Whilst people text in abusive sentiments about what a chinless gibbon you are. That’s what Week Two on Match.com is like.

Roll on Week Three.

Remember - a week’s a long time in Love.

4 comments:

  1. It's good to see you're being so upbeat about it all...

    Looking forward to hearing about some actual dates ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like match.com has the same effect for some people as facebook...presenting stats on popularity rather than connecting people. On the other hand, why do you want 140 odd people (who might list 'Scar Tissue' in their book list) to email you? I'd take it as a chance to concentrate on the good ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if your Match.com experience isn't proving to be much fun so far, reading about your experiences is so funny! I always find myself wishing that dating sites had some kind of idiot filter, so that anyone who writes crap that basically reads 'I have no personality but I'm laidback and fun, honest!' would be automatically filtered out.
    I really look forward to hearing about the actual dates when they happen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dude, I have had two unsuccesful 6 month stints with Match.com, and now wouldn't touch them a 10 foot cattle prod.
    The problem is numbers.
    Imagine if you will that you are an attractive, single woman, with a good photo. One that doesn't make you look like you've had an annurism which has left you with a rigid smile.
    Now imagine how many e-mails, winks and assorted messages you get from eager, horny men. Now, you have a life, because you're an attractive woman, so how much time do you really have to go through all those profiles?
    Not enough.
    So what do you do? You didn't really believe that you would meet someone when you signed up, you only did it for a laugh, or because your best mate said you should give it a go. You've got fed up with loud, cocky, half-cut men in bars feebly trying to chat you up, and you're not getting any younger, so you thought - why not?
    So what do you do?
    Well, you formulate a filtering system. You start ruling men out based on their age, height, location, and then you flick through the photos and discard anyone who doesn't look like (please insert favourite fantasy lover here). After all, Match.com have promised you love, so why shouldn't you expect a tall, handsome prince charming?
    Face it people, sites like Match.com prey on our fears of lonliness, failure and sexual frustration, where in truth it's only for the beautiful 'fun' people. Whoever they are.
    My advice, go speed-dating, or to singles parties. Or start a mixed-gender hobby or sport. At least there you can meet them face to face, and they get a flavour of your personality. I've had more dates in 3 months doing that, then I got from over a year of web-dating.
    Why would I torture myself? Oh yes, please let me be rejected by large numbers of women for no good reason whatsoever. Duh!
    Match.com sucks. It's official.
    The Pipster.

    ReplyDelete